Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Test Day 5, Sunday (1/30)

Sunday was a very intimidating day for me.  My sections had been decreasing in age since Wednesday and suddenly Sunday I was jumping to the top of the food chain with secundaria tercera or 9th grade, the oldest group of in the house.  The day started off awkwardly enough.  I came in as they were all getting dressed for the day.  Thankfully we soon headed to the comedor for breakfast, but upon returning to the room I spent over an hour staring at the wall while they did their chores around the room and took some homework time.  Finally, the encargada took pity on me and suggested some of the girls take me with them on their trip into town. The day definitely picked up from there.  We headed to the town's central market with a few kids from each section and took our time walking through the stalls full of everything from fresh fruit to pirated DVD's, underwear to fresh tortillas.  We returned to the house just in time for comida.  Comida was followed by an activity period that was suppose to be a bicycle race but wasn't too successful.  A chicharron (fried pig skin, a real treat here) buffet bar was set up for all the kids after the race which they all enjoyed immensely of course.  The girls then did some more chores around the house, showered for dinner, and headed to the comedor.  After dinner, the group was more subdued with getting ready for bed, prayers, and random conversation.  I really enjoyed talking with the girls and learning a little more about their lives.  This is the group that will graduate in June and either move on to Cuernavaca or leave for good making the approaching date a very important turning point in their lives.  I can definitely relate.  I like the group a lot (of course), but am more hesitant to choose them as my official section as they only have a few months left.  I will definitely keep up with them though through other means and random moments!