Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Return to Cuerna and Race to Mia (2/12)

Saturday I left Miacatlan for the first time in 18 days!  All the volunteers met in Cuernavaca for a training session Jeremy had set up for us.  Since it was the weekend, half of us were off and had left for Cuernavaca the day before.  It was crazy how much I already missed them after less than a 24 hour separation.  The training was with a couple of Jeremy's friends who teach at a prestigious preparatory school in Mexico City and was meant to help us with the English classes that we are now holding for the kids.  It was very informative and great to get out for a little bit.  Hopefully I'll be able to implement some of their suggestions with my crazy students!  (Who I love very much. ;-P) 

It was a mad rush to get back for those of us on duty.  We were trying to make it in time for mass at 4pm.  It normally is at least a 2 hour trip (because of getting to the bus station in Cuernavaca and then to Miacatlan) and we ended about 2pm.  In addition, everything was going slower Saturday.  We made it back about 10 minutes late only to find the gates locked.  Apparently the gate guys had completely abandoned their post for mass (which isn't supposed to happen).  Teresa, Andrew, and I just hung out for about 40 minutes impatiently awaiting their return and worrying about the repercussions of our being late. 

Me with Diana, one of the encargadas in medianas.  She's a real sweetheart and one of a set of triplets.  Her sisters are identical and impossible to tell apart.

Finally we were let back in and all of us ran to our sections.  It was nice to be back with my girls.  The rest of the day was rather chill.  We watched some TV (they watch absolutely no TV during the week so in my section it's a main feature of the weekend) and then headed to cena.

 I've started carrying my camera with me most of the time and the girls LOVE taking pictures.  Even though their expressions don't always express it.  It's kind of like the old fashion photos where no one smiles.  I'm trying to change that. (Poco a poco.)

Hanging out in the plaza.

This video was taken leaving cena at the comedor (cafeteria).  The star of the last video, is now the videographer and walks us all the way from our entrance to the comedor back to our room in the dorm.  Along the way, you can see better how the comedor is hidden behind the chapel area as well as our entire route back to our room.  We see a lot of the kids heading to their respective rooms through the plaza;  passing off the camera to another of my girls; lots of requests to "Di algo" or "Say something" with the prompt reply being "something"; and a pretty good look at the entirety of the girls' room.

After the video was cut, we spent a good amount of time watching a little more TV before heading back to the comedor for a Valentine's dance, the big activity for Saturday.  I danced with some of my girls, helped them hold up the wall for a little bit, and was taught some of the more traditional Mexican dance steps.  It was fun, but I was exhausted and checked out before it actually ended.  Hung out briefly with the other volunteers and then...to bed!  Yeah!

The comedor light.  !Que padre!

They closed off half of the comedor and the wings to make the space a lot smaller and more conducive to dancing.  The floor is littered with lollipops and lollipop wrappers, our Valentine treat.

Two of my girls.

P.S. You can tell what day it is in the slideshow by my shirt color.  So all the photos right now where I'm wearing my black playera are from Saturday, red from Friday, T-shirt Sunday and/or weekend off, etc.  My color schedule is in the right column if you need a more complete reference.