Thursday, February 3, 2011

Drum Roll Please (2/2)

I have chosen!  It was a really, really, really hard decision for me, but I finally decided on Grandes A, the first group I spent time with here at the house.  So far things are going okay.  I was hoping life would get easier once a section was determined, but so far, not so true.  There are two other encargadas in my section and neither of them is very chatty so I'm currently building up the courage to ask more direct questions about what the heck I'm suppose to be doing.  Yesterday was my first full day in the section as an official encargada and I was about as useless as I was during test week. 
(Me with one of the girls in my section)
Something you've got to understand about Mexico, everything is indirect.  No one makes a phone call and starts off the conversation with why they are calling. It's only after a thirty minute conversation about everything else that the question might be broached and even then it's not directly asked.  I'm finding this very frustrating as it applies to our lives here.  We're kind of thrown into the mix and expected to gradually figure out how things work.  For such a detail-oriented person like me, you can imagine how challenging I find this.  The first day, therefore, I felt pretty useless and was wondering if I had made the right choice, but I'm sure gradually I will become more integrated.  These first two weeks are supposed to be the most difficult!  And the girls are very sweet. 

(Also in Grandes A)
I purposely chose probably the most difficult age in the house.  They are our equivalent of sixth graders which here means that they are in their last year of primary school about to move up to secondary or middle.  They're not as cute and cuddly anymore, they're not as dependent, but they're also not quite as independent and self-assured as the older girls either.  They still need lots of hugs and good conversation too.  It is halfway through their final year of primary school so I will even be with them as they make that first big school transition.  And like I said, I'm still figuring out where I fit in to all of this as are the other volunteers as well.  Wesleigh chose Grandes B girls, Andrew Grandes B boys, and Monika Secundaria Primeros girls.  Martina and Ignacio chose not to take a section.  Martina is working in the school and the library and Ignacio is assisting with English classes and organizing our English tutoring sessions.  And thankfully this weekend I have my first descanso!  A little time away will be nice to get some distance and rest before really going all in.