Thursday, February 10, 2011

Futbol and English (2/7)

Monday I finally was back with my girls.  It felt like it had been forever.  The day was especially unusual since there was no school; it was a national holiday.  Something to do with the Constitution.  We spent an exciting morning playing futbol on one of the courts here and I had a great time.  I hadn't had the chance to play with these girls before and enjoyed seeing this side of them.  We divided into three teams with the first team to score two goals as winner.  Winner than stayed to play the next team and so on.  The court we played on was more like an indoor futbol field than what I'm used to, but I learned relatively quickly how to take advantage of the walls.  Everyone here plays and I wish I'd brought shoes more suitable to these impromptu games.  I played in my Chucks which wasn't too bad, although I did get some blisters and didn't have the best traction.  And it was HOT.  For about three hours we were out in direct sunlight.  I also got to see another side of Ochoa, one of my fellow encargadas and the general of my section.  She is really good at futbol and was really enjoying the game.

Futbol was the highlight of the day.  We spent a good chunk watching a popular Mexican show called Rebelde about the equivalent of a prep school here.  Lots of drama, lots of crying, lots of ridiculous plot twists.  I found it pretty hilarious. 

In the afternoon I had my first taste of attempting to teach English.  It went...well, it went.  I was put in charge of three boys (it was suppose to be six) from the Grandes B category.  I went in not really knowing what to do or where to start.  It was kind of nuts.  We started off well enough, but the boys kept getting restless so I kept trying to change it up and come up with different methods on the spot which made for an interesting hour.  I mean, they're boys, they're just bursting with energy and these supplemental English hours are taking place during their normal activity period.  No wonder they're bouncing off the walls!  I was going on no experience, limited planning time, and few resources.  But I survived the first day!  And I was excited to have boys.  It's nice to get to know some of boys as previously I had only worked with girls.  We're having a training session with some English teachers from the School of the Americas in Mexico City this weekend (aka HUGE deal) and I'm really hoping the tutorial helps.

The rest of day was pretty typical.  After English class, dinner.  After dinner, calm/reading time which Monday night equaled a lot of talking, and finally, bed.  End scene!