Monday, March 14, 2011

Sweep Team and Other Shenanigans (3/7-10)

Monday night was another fun round of games that had us yelling and screaming in the court outside our dorm.  Wesleigh asked me later what all the screaming was about.  We were clearly audible in every corner of the compound!
The girls during Revolution, a game with two teams on opposite sides of the court.  Each player gets a label that corresponds to someone on the opposite side.  The object is not to be the last to find your partner.  Not the most advanced game, but a lot of fun.

Wednesday was Ash Wednesday so all the kids (and staff and volunteers) started the day off right with mass right after breakfast before heading to school.  My ashes were kind of spread completely across my forehead and perfectly highlighted my scar which was an interesting feature.  It was such a fast mass!  And it caught me completely off guard as I thought Lent wasn't supposed to start until the following week.  Oh well. Welcome to Lent!

Also Wednesday, the boys' soccer teams both had games against the teams from town.  I'm still not completely sure how the soccer teams are organized here, but from what I could gather there are two levels, primary and secondary, and possibly two teams in each level.  Not sure about that last part.  Anyway, they play official games whenever a team travels through town or the local teams want to play.  I got to watch a good bit of both games, but had to leave early for my English class.  A few of my girls watched with me.
I brought my sunglasses in order to see better, but my girls decided they were put to better use as a fashion accessory in their model photos.  It's only one photo of many.

One of my girls, is the player in the middle.  Both teams were short a player so she was asked to fill in for both teams.  I was so proud!  She's a really good player and it was fun to see her in action outside of our pick up games.

Four of my girls, watching the game and cheering on their friend.

Thursday began the slow sad end to my beautiful breaks during the day.  Wesleigh and I had so far been able to successfully avoid normal sweep team by getting up at 4:30am once a week every other week for novios.  Now, the house has mandated that novios are no more, aka romantic relationships are completely banded so the novio shift no longer exists and therefore no longer need our supervision.  So Thursday, promptly at 7:45, Wesleigh and I showed up at the primary school to start our first real sweep team shift. 

All the staff and year of service kids are organized into sweep teams which after all the kids have left for school (about 7:45 or 8) we each have a specific spot around the house and school to sweep.  Each week, the teams rotate their sweep spots until each team has swept the whole house and the rotation starts again.  There is no custodial staff here; the concept (and money) does not exist so we provide the custodial services.  Really, the kids themselves are the true force that keeps the place clean which makes sweep team less enjoyable.  It's hard to put much effort and heart into a job that you know will be repeated at least once more that day by the kids, but we all do it because we're told to.  Haha!  Not a very happy response or reason, I'll admit, but it's just another part of life here that I need to accept. Yay sweep team!

The girls lined up for prayer before comida on Thursday.  They prayer before and after each meal as well as before school and bed as a group.

Our delicious fish again!  Not sure how they were kept fresh for a week, but they tasted great. ;-)

Me later that night pumping out more drawings.  I'm drawing the Virgencita sitting on the couch.  Look at that beautiful use of my drawing pad, sent courtesy of my parents.  Thanks again parents!