Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Highlights (2/28-3/3)

The highlights of Feb. 28th through March 3rd:

--> Haircuts were Tuesday.  It was really entertaining to watch as there were about eight different hair dressers in the portico outside the main building surrounded by mounds of hair from all the kids they had moving in and out of their chairs. It was like a holiday or a huge party with sections of pequenos crowded around waiting their turn or admiring their new look.  Or hating their new look depending on the kid. ;-)  I didn't get any pictures, but next hair day I'll make sure to have my camera!

--> The girls also returned on Tuesday.  When I saw my girl for the first time I thought my heart was going to fall out of my chest.  No joke, the world went in slow motion and I felt like I was having an out of body experience as I walked towards her.  My first reaction was shock followed quickly by relief and happiness.  And then anger.  I was so angry at her for putting us through such hell for so long.  Bottom line though, she was safe and unharmed so I have a lot to be grateful for.  Now, her and the other girl who left with her have been sent away for a month of reflection to decide if NPH is really where they need to be.  I'll be anxious for her decision!

--> I've found an engaging method of teaching English using one of the loves of my life - movies.  It keeps the boys' attention, has them listening and reading English the whole time, and is fun for everyone.  I'm not that sure how much they really retain, but at least they're being exposed to correct English pronunciation and use.  Right now I'm teaching a couple small groups of Medianos and Grandes B boys each Monday and Tuesday.  It's a nice break to have boys for a little while.
One of my Monday Grandes B boys.  He can't sit still, but he loves to help me out where he can, packing up my bag and carrying my things for me.

--> Daniela, our current volunteer coordinator, finally made it out to meet with us on Wednesday!  It had been three weeks due to all the International Junta chaos.  I had forgotten how great it was to talk to her and she made me feel better about a lot of things that had been happening.

--> Thursday I felt very official went I went into the school to grab one of my girls.  She had an appointment at the clinic, but needed an encargada in order to leave.  How important did I feel!  So my position does have some clout...

-->  And finally, Thursday we were able to enjoy the fruits of our labor from the previous Saturday.  It was fish for comida!  At first I was a little wary.  It looked like the fish had just been tossed in the pot as they were when we left them last time, but in reality they were all delicious!  A little creepy to look at at first, but you soon got over that with the deliciousness filling your mouth.  Above: two of girls, making friends with their food.

One of my favorite mugs for coffee, the nectar of the gods which helps me get through the day.  This mug in particular reminds me of home and provides an extra level of comfort from the association.  My mom really likes this type of shape for her coffee mugs too.

During homework time on Thursday.  Obviously she is being very productive!  These are the kind of tables used to serve in the comedor.  Food goes on top, dishes on the bottom.

Awww! What sweet little angels!  (They are totally posing for this picture.)

Just another peek at the night life here.  The girls were just back from dinner.  Every night they move their beds out from the wall to the center of the room to sleep and move them back to the wall in the morning.  They say "Te queremos" a lot in this video; it means "We love you."  Also, you'll notice Ana sitting on the couch.  She's the other encargada in our section.  This was my last night in the section before my weekend descanso.  And I was pretty excited about it!  Sleep is important you know...