Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Helping Hands (2/27)

Sunday was unusual because we took the kids into the pueblo for mass instead of having mass at the chapel here.  This was highly unusual and the first time all the kids had left the house to head into town.  We were quite a sight to behold as we walked through the streets to the church.  All of the primary grades from chicos up to Grandes A trooped outside for noon mass.  And it was hot!  The place was already pretty full before we even got there so we had to split the kids up and squeeze them in where we could find space.  I ended up in a corner sitting on the wall.  This was a good thing because I quickly became dehydrated and dizzy and had to leave to find a cooler area.  My first mass in Mexico almost three years ago now (wow, how time flies) I came so close to blacking out that I had to buy my water sitting down.  You'd think I would have learned from the experience and brought water with me, but I guess I just need to be hit over the head with the concept a few times before I can let it sink in.

I wasn't the only one having problems though.  All the kids were pretty desperate for something to drink by the time mass was over, but thankfully we all made it back safe and have learned from the experience.  Next time, agua for everyone!

One of my girls posing at the clinic.  The two of us spent a good deal of time there in the afternoon.  She cut her foot pretty badly during activity time, but being one of the more active girls, she didn't let it keep her down for long!

The rest of the day I spent thoroughly cleaning our sala as we had been informed we were hosting a party in there that night and then rejoining my section in time for their chore time as well.  Blanche, one of the directors, came to our section to have a special talk with the girls surrounding recent events and I was pretty impressed with what she had to say.  Some of the highlights: they are truly loved here, but it is hard for three encargadas to know exactly how each of thirty girls is feeling. This places more responsibility on their shoulders to speak up when they are feeling upset or angry or lonely instead of bottling it up and deciding that leaving is the only solution.

My entire section holding hands in a continuous line after cena.  This exercise was meant to show how interconnected and important each girl is to the family and each other.  I think they got the point.


After Blanche left the girls headed to bed and I finally got to talk to Mom and Dad!  It had been a while and it was so great to talk things over here with them.  I then joined the birthday party in honor of Blanche in our sala.  We had some incredible tacos and a delicious cake!  Cake was followed by catch up time with the volunteers who were on descanso.  A lot had been happening and it was great to have them back.  I had missed them so much!  We watched a movie and finally I made myself go to bed.  It was nice to finally have the weekend behind me.