Friday, December 9, 2011

Asi Es (9/19-10/2)

Monday was a little difficult as three of my favorite girls decided to try and pierce their noses which of course caused waves with the authority figures here as extraneous piercings, tattoos, etc. are strictly forbidden.  This is largely due to the fact that it is very difficult to get a job in Mexico with these types of extra decorations.  The girls did not take it well and I spent a good part of my day talking to them about why: why they did it, why there are consequences, why the rules exist, why, why, why.  Basically, typical parenting stuff.  The rest of the week was relatively uneventful after its anxious start.

Descanso was quiet.  I spent it mainly by myself as Wesleigh and Moni were on vacation at home and the other two Miacatlan volunteers chose to go to Mexico City.  It therefore consisted mainly of Skyping, blogging, and watching movies.  Bailey and I had fun on Saturday running some errands downtown and then watching movies back at her apartment.  She’s one of the Cuernavaca volunteers who I don’t see very much and it was nice to get to know her better one-on-one.

Monday signaled the beginning of my big application project or the start of me actually filling out applications.  That stressful project will have lasted over three months by the time I’m truly done.  But you’ve got to start somewhere!  I also delivered a DVD player to my section that day; a post-trip gift from my parents and a very welcome surprise for the girls.  They were so excited.

Wednesday night was jam-packed full of fun at the ridiculously stressful volunteer meeting.  It was several hours long and consisted of every possible hot button topic possible to exist with ten people living together.  It was so bad I took the next day off to recover my composure and energy.  Thankfully Wesleigh also got back that day and I was ridiculously grateful to have her back.

Friday night I spent with a group of girls from Edge.  We had a contest that week in youth group with the kids modernizing the Good Samaritan and then performing it for everyone with the prize being chicharrones and a movie on Friday night.  We had fun and I got to watch a classic Mexican movie.  Saturday was fish day again.  Yeah.  (I just hate the smell.  I wouldn’t mind it at all if it weren’t for the smell that feels like it just stays with you the rest of the weekend.)  Sunday was spent mainly in the clinic with various ill girls and helping construct our entry into the activity for the day.  Per usual there were some interesting contestants. 

Construction in the dorm.

Me playing a game with one of the director's daughters.  She's three and my girls babysit her a lot.  Whenever she blew the whistle I had to run in the other direction.  Unfortunatley this entertained her a long time, but I did get a great cardio workout!

Our poor entry that no one wanted to claim.

One of my favorites.  The contest was create something by re-using materials.  Grandes B took that to mean cover a kid in stuffed animals.

Bob Esponja!  Yep, just as popular here as he is in the States.

Some of my girls got bored and proceeded to play an impromtu, spastic version of Quidditch.

I have no idea who won.  Our day-long project didn’t turn out quite as well as hoped.  The girls were so embarrassed they made me carry it down to the patio.  Asi es mi vida.