Sunday, September 4, 2011

Semana de Fiestas (6/13-19)

For a few weeks, the volunteers had been in doubt as to whether or not we would have our biannual retreat and/or the traditional despidida for our departing volunteers.  In the end, Marinay (our volunteer coordinator) was able to work her magic and we got not just one but both.  Due to our individual schedules, they also happened to take place in the same week, back to back. 

 Tuesday night therefore was our volunteer despidida.  A despidida is a farewell, bon voyage type party and are typical in the house to say thank you for volunteers, year of service, departing employees, etc.  Our despidida was for Jeremy in Miacatlan and Jane and Edith in Cuernavaca.  The party was held at a hotel in Miacatlan.  We brought the food and drinks; the hotel provided the atmosphere.  It was pretty crazy.  The drink flowed, the food was delicious, presents were given, dancing ensued.  I left with the first car out at 2:30 in the morning.  Everyone else left much later.

Rafa, Edith, Jeremy, and Jane

To our benefit, the volunteer retreat was scheduled for the next day.  Instead of our normal routine starting at 5, 6, or 7am we slept in a little and then boarded an NPH bus to head to Las Huertas.  After a brief snack stop along the way, we finally arrived.

Teresa and Marinay on the bus there.

Las Huertas: advertised as a natural water park.  It was a really beautiful and fun place.  It had definitely been manipulated by man, but still very unique.  I missed my Keens dearly!

A dead centipede near the trashcan.  My foot's in the photo to give size perspective.  That's a size 10 foot people!

Wesleigh and I warming up by one of the man-made pools.  I applied sunscreen every hour and still got burned!  Typical.

Las Huertas was a lot of fun and a very distinct break from house life that we were grateful for.  I hope I get to go back!

Thursday in celebration of Father's Day, the females of the house threw a party for the guys at Agustin and Chela's house.  I helped with cooking that afternoon.  My job consisted in picking up the raw meat and putting it on the stove for the cooks.  That night after the kids went to bed, the party started.  I must say, the cooks did a great job.  We served the guys and gave out presents.  I think they felt properly celebrated.  I slipped out early as I still felt sleep deprived from the festivities the previous two days.

Friday morning, Monika, Wesleigh and I had fun with Grupo D creating a scavenger hunt around the house.  One group was given the task of placing clues around the house to lead the other group to the end prize: a bag of chicharrones.  We had a small bump in the road when one mischievous child from the first ran ahead of everyone stealing the clues and the prize.  Thankfully we got to him before he actually ate it and the second group was able to finish the game.

The rest of my weekend was very quiet.  Monika and Wesleigh were both working so I was on my own again.  I did some great blogging, watched a lot of movies, slept, and Skyped.  A nice break after a long week of fiestas!