Friday, September 23, 2011

The Princess and the Plywood Story

No one was happy about moving, but it had to be done.  I checked out the boys' room thoroughly before the actual move took place and went ahead and chose which compartment I wanted for myself.  It had a window, two lockers, a nice big "door," and a decent amount of space that would not change due to its location.  The only problem was the bed was a little smaller than the one I had grown used to so I couldn't keep my mattress.  I wasn't too upset about this, my mattress springs were starting to poke through anyway, but it did make things a little more difficult as my new room's previous occupant wanted to keep his old mattress.

So we moved.  Martina and Andrew kept their old mattresses while Dan and I made do with what was left over.  After all our things had been switched out, I finally gave my attention to the bed situation.  I tested the mattress on it.  Too hard.  I lifted up the mattress and discovered that several sheets of plywood had been put between the springs of the bed and the mattress itself. Interesting.  I wondered why. Can't hurt to try it sans plywood, right?  Over the course of the next couple of weeks, I tried every conceivable combination of mattresses, singular, double, different singular, etc.  Of the four mattresses at my disposal, I tried all, together and separate.  Nothing really worked.  Some were too soft, some were too hard, some were too high when combined...the list goes on.  I felt like Goldilocks.  And then, a few nights before I was supposed to go home, the springs started to give out a little and I suddenly found myself sitting in a hole in my bed.  But what to do?  I had exhausted all my available resources.  How was I to get a good night's sleep?

While home for vacation I decided to therefore bring back my old egg carton cover from college and a mattress pad.  My first night back I tried it out.  It helped, but no miracle.  Then, with the early departure of Martina, I tried her mattress.  Better, but still too soft.  Finally, in what felt like a desperate last attempt, I put the plywood back on.  Perfection.  I officially love my bed and have slept well ever since.  Who would of guessed?  The perfect combination was plywood from the beginning and my bed and I now have an ideal relationship.  Now, if I could just work things out with the bathroom door...

My new room and my plywood bed in all its glory.  That's a window in the right corner.

The other corner of my room.  It took forever to get the boy smell out, but at this point we've eradicated it for the most part.