Monday, June 20, 2011

Newbies (5/9-15)

This week marked a lot of new things in my NPH life.  Tuesday night the male staff of the house hosted a party for Mother's Day.  All encargadas were invited including the volunteers.  I was pleasantly surprised to be considered and impressed in their treatment of the day.  While I had not thought of myself as a mother, our role essentially is that within the house.  So I guess I've officially celebrated my first Mother's Day for me!  I'm still getting used to the idea.  It was a very nice celebration.  We were greeted at the entrance with a pipe cleaner flower, were served our food by the guys, each given a present through a drawing, and were serenaded by one of the chicos boys with a traditional Mexican song.  It was very cute and special.

My present for Mother's Day was a washcloth and a pair of socks.  The washcloth is actually very welcome, but the socks are waaaaaaaaaay too small. One of my girls also gave me a rose and the pipe cleaner flower is what we were greeted with at the door.

Wednesday, the Cuernavaca volunteers travelled to Miacatlan to have our first volunteer reunion.  We all went to dinner in a neighboring pueblo.  It was a lot of fun to see them and was the first time we were able to spend time together as a complete group.  We swapped stories and chowed down instead of our traditional Wednesday night volunteer meeting.

Friday was my second day helping Monika with her Grupo D activities.  Wesleigh, Monika, and I tried to keep the kids somewhat in line as we painted a wall in one of the employee's offices. 





We managed to paint the wall, but the kids also managed to paint each other pretty well too.  While in their school uniforms.  That they wear almost every day.  Yes, those paint stains are still clearly evident and make me smile every time I see them.  The rest of the day was quiet as it was my descanso.  Because I had no computer anymore, I decided to wait until Saturday to go to Cuernavaca.

Mainly I went for frozen vegetables and because I hadn't actually left Miacatlan for quite a while.  I was greeted in the apartment by quite a few cockroaches.  In my absence it appeared as though they had taken over the bathroom and begun to try for the bedroom.  Over the course of the night I literally killed ten (yes, I kept count).  Besides the store run, I did nothing but read, eat, and listen to music.  At one point the power went out plunging the apartment into darkness due to a violent storm outside.  Thankfully, I had last minute decided to bring my flashlight and so could continue reading.  I kept swinging the light over the sala though, paranoid at the thought of cockroaches sneaking up on me while the light was in their favor.  It didn't happen and I survived the night.  Sunday I slept in and headed back to Miacatlan.  Some exercising, chores, and chatting later I was ready to face a new week.

Another "newbie" thing that happened this week was the arrival of a new family to the house, one boy and five girls ranging in age from eight to two years old.  The boy, who was also the oldest in the family, was placed in chicos while all the girls were put in kinder.  And so the house has a new baby of two years old!  They are all so cute and sweet and look very similar with very rosy cheeks and a dark complexion.  I love sneaking off to kinder to get to play with them and they seem to have settled into house life very well.