Monday, May 23, 2011

Spring Break Part 2 (4/25-27)

Let me preface this blog post by saying again, sorry for the delay in posts.  My computer crashed about three weeks ago and the volunteer computer isn't quite as accessible or capable with doing what I need to do for the blog.  Trying my best!

Anyway...the few days pre-computer crash were fun. It was the last week of the house's spring break.  Things were more back to normal in that only the regular encargadas were in section and we kept a similar routine from the week prior: desayuno, activity with just section, comida, ciesta, activities around house, down time in section, dinner, and house soccer tournament before bed.  Ciesta time was usually my break for the day. Nap time for the whole house meant a good hour and a half when I wasn't so useful in section so depending on the day that was spent just hanging out or actually sleeping as well. 

Monday, the 25th, Jim Hoyt came back to town with a group of 8th graders and they were a really great group to have around.  A few of the guys joined us for soccer a couple days and I know the girls in the section really enjoyed having some new blood around. It helped spice the game up and everyone had more fun.  Tuesday, the 26th, Mr. Hoyt kindly delivered to me a two pound bag of Reese's he had brought me, a true nirvana moment for me since Reese's are my favorite candy (besides dark chocolate of course) and completely unavailable in Mexico.  My chocolate stash was still devastated from the chocolate incident the week before making the care package even more welcome.  Let's just say I was pretty excited and I've talked about this way too long.  But I was so excited!  Sometimes it's the little things that make all the difference here.

Tuesday night my girls participated in the tournament playing against the primeros section, or the seventh grade girls.  And they killed!  I played with them, but I was really quite useless.  At first we were the favorites being the younger section and immediately seen as the underdogs, but that was a grave error in judgment.  I think we won with six or eight to two.  It was a lot of fun though and the kids watching were really into the game.  I was very proud of my girls.

Wednesday the girls' sections had a spa day in our room.  Everyone chipped in, encargadas and directors, to provide every conceivable station possible.  Nails were being done, facials, pedicures...I was even recruited for massage duty.  I have to admit, spa day is not my thing, but the girls really enjoyed it.  And I got some great photos much to their embarrassment!

A row of my girls taking full advantage of the facial package. The cucumbers eventually degenerated to being an afternoon snack.

A view of the spa.  Behind Paloma is the table for massages and behind that the other stations in the room.

Pedicures to the left and facials on the right.

Manicure time!  Two girls from chicas enjoying getting dolled up.

Blanche, one of the directors, enjoying her own bit of spa day.

That night was a little rough for everyone as there was no water again.  The cistern was being cleaned out so the house when without water for while.  Thankfully this time we were forewarned as it was a planned deficit, but it was still a relief to have the water back on in the morning.